Professional development strengthens each of us for the important work of authentically empowering girls in the growth experiences they need to be confident and competent in the 21st century.
For this reason Pretty Brainy has built professional development and educator support into its programs. This training is specific to how girls access, regard, and engage STEAM disciplines. Why girls? Because they become the women who diversify the workforce, contribute innovative ideas, pose new models of leadership, and boost the financial health and operational effectiveness of the organizations they serve.
We offer support for —
- Formal educators and schools.
- Informal educators and enrichment programs.
- Homeschool groups.
Support is provided via one or a combination of —
- Train-the-trainer events.
- Webinars in STEAM delivery, program content, and pedagogy.
- Content online.
Pretty Brainy professional development topics and practices include —
- Empowering students by creating a framework for learning, as distinct from teaching.
- Facilitating project-based learning. Instructors are given the opportunity to learn to frame learning objectives and set classroom goals and expectations, then give students the chance to develop the discipline to create within that framework.
- Instructors cultivating a reflection on their own learning styles and developing the insight for being the “guide on the side” and helping students develop agency for their learning.
- Classroom collaboration and discourse: creating a community of learners who find, for example, the value of prototyping over perfectionism and forming critical questions over having the “right answers.”
- Using authentic assessment to gauge students’ understanding.
Have a question? Contact us.